Preparing for polling day
Erewash Borough Council’s elections team continue to work behind-the-scenes as the countdown continues to polling day on Thursday 2 May.
Residents go to the polls to vote in the Borough Council elections, while in some areas there will also be Parish Council elections.
The whole process to prepare for Polling Day gets underway many weeks before to ensure all the administrative and legal requirements are met.
A major part of the process is managing the register of voters, sending out the poll cards, setting up and manning the polling stations, training election staff and, finally, organising the counts ahead of the declaration of results.
Here are some facts about this year’s 2 May elections in Erewash:
• More than 87,000 poll cards have been hand-delivered to every resident in the Erewash borough who is on the electoral register.
• The percentage of postal votes requested in Erewash for the borough elections is 18.38%.
• There will be 57 polling stations for the Erewash Borough Council election.
• The stations will be manned by 57 Presiding Officers and 103 Poll Clerks in total between 7am and 10pm.
• The count for both the borough and parish elections will be held at Rutland Sports Park Tennis Centre in Ilkeston on Friday 3 May.